Friday, April 27, 2018

Tai Chi Chuan - Not My Job!


Tai Chi Chuan – Not My Job!


Tai chi was recommended to me by an acting teacher who said that tai chi was the best exercise for actors because it teaches you how to give up resistance.

I began in 1982.

In looking at push hands, I can honestly say that I have NEVER said to myself or to any of my teachers, that I can’t do this, or this is too hard, or this doesn’t help me. NEVER.

My job – when given an exercise to work on - is to participate as fully as I possibly can, not judge it, or determine the value, or disregard it (as in – I already know this!)

Of the many things I have done poorly, THIS is not one of them. My worst offence was disregard in that I felt I knew what this exercise had to offer and then not give it my all. But I changed that resistance and got back to work. And learned more.

You can always learn more, even if this is the umpteenth time you have worked on an exercise. This is because every push hand interaction has many layers. Perhaps infinite.

You can learn EVEN MORE if this exercise is difficult or confusing or “not my skill set”.

Resistance is a many headed monster.

Step one: recognize it.

Step two: If you have it, let it go….

No comments:

Post a Comment